Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lesson Reflection: Jan.29, 07 – Art & Shapes

Like the Language lesson I did in the morning, I integrated Math with today’s Art lesson. While I did 3D shapes with the Language lesson, I did 2D shapes with the Art lesson. I cut out circles, triangles, squares and rectangles of various sizes and colours, so the students could manipulate the shapes and use the shapes to construct a picture. To reduce my work, I could have handed out construction papers and let them cut the shapes themselves, or give them samples so they could trace the shapes. However, that would take up a lot of time, and it might divert their attention in the cutting process. It would be too much for them.

I showed them what I would do with my shapes, and asked them questions to probe them. For example, I asked, “I want to make a person beside this house, so I’ll put a circle right here. What shape do you think I would use for the body?” So they said, “A rectangle!” Then I asked again, “Hm…I think I want this person to be a girl, what shape should I use for her little skirt?” They yelled out, “A triangle!” I like involving them in my instruction, so that they would feel more engaged and attentive.

I also allowed them to draw on their picture if they needed to. So they could draw frames for the windows, eyes and hair for the people, and other things that their creative minds would think about. Although a lot of them made houses, every student’s picture had a different touch to it. Some had castles, some had trees, and some had rectangular clouds. I thought that it didn’t matter if the shapes and colours that they used didn’t make sense, because the shapes and colours that they had were limited, but they were making the most out of them. They knew that clouds are not rectangles, so why judging them when they make rectangular clouds?

No comments: