Thursday, October 19, 2006

Oct.6, 06

Today, I was a bit nervous because it'll be my first time reading a picture book to a class of Grade Ones. First times are always difficult, but I know that after I get through this, I'll feel much more comfortable dealing with a class!

Ms. Carson told me that I would have time to read the book after lunch, so during the first half of the day, I just did what I usually do -- talking to students before class starts and during recess, walking around and observing them during class time, helping Ms. Carson with whatever needs to be done, etc.

One interesting thing that I did was drawing a person on chart paper. I have to admit that I'm not a great artist -- not after I've "grown up", anyway. I don't mean that I'm afraid of drawing, but when it comes to group activities, I won't be the one to volunteer to do the pictures. Ms. Carson asked me to draw a person, colour it and cut it out. It's going to be the material for a lesson on bullying. She told me that she'll ask the students to stand in a circle, and she will hold the paper person in the middle of the circle. She'll ask them to say bad things to the paper person and bully him. Each time someone say something bad to him, Ms. Carson would tear the paper. After the paper man is poorly ripped, she'll let the students say sorry to him. For every "sorry", she'll tape the parts that are ripped. After this, she will explain to them that even though we apologized, it leaves marks on the person being bullied. I think that it is powerful. We as teachers always tell students not to say this and not to do that, but it may be abstract to them. From this lesson, students would be able to see the "wounds" visually, and make connections to how a person would feel deep inside.

As a teacher candidate, I feel empowered after drawing this paper man. I realize that teachers aren't perfect beings, we have our own weaknesses, but we must help ourselves. In a classroom, we must do whatever we can do to make each lesson worthwhile. For example, I'm taking an education elective called Literacy and Culture this term. I thought that it's about reading texts, but it's actually a new media literacy course. I could've dropped it and taken another course, but I didn't, because I want to try new things, and here's a chance. Most fellow teacher candidates are not familiar with new technologies and how to incorporate them into classrooms, but we must make our best attempts if it enriches our students. We must believe in ourselves and feel confident, because we are the models of the 20 children in our classroom. If we are resistant to learning, then we will not be able to guide the students to learn. We must be brave!

After lunch, I read the story book to the Grade Ones. By that time, I wasn't nervous anymore, because I have been with the class for half a day, so I didn't feel as self-conscious. The story is called "Where the Wild Things are". I asked them questions before opening the book, and they were very eager to tell me what they think about it. As I was reading the book, I let them investigate the pictures, tell me about the pictures, and guess what might happen next. I was glad that there were lots of interaction, that they were enthusiastic and they seemed like they were enjoying it. Ms. Carson said that I did a wonderful job, which really encouraged me. I have studied this picture book in a Humanity course called "Worlds of Childhood" last year, and I am really glad that I took that course. The professor taught us how to analyze a children's book, what are the hidden ideologies, and how should we approach it. I learned a lot in that course, and I became a more insightful reader.

Today is a great day, and I look forward to introducing a Math activity to the students in two weeks!

No comments: