Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Nov.10, 06: Remembrance Day Assembly

Almost everyone in the school wore red and black today, from the Kindergartens to the principal. Everyone was responsible to present something during the assembly, which was very well put together. Even the Grade Ones were reciting a poem, which was fantastic! There were touching moments, with lighting and music to establish the whole atmosphere. I was moved when a student came to Ms.Carson afterwards and said, "I was crying...I felt sad for the soldiers." I think it is very powerful for a young student to understand and have emotions for the importance of Remembrance Day. The assembly was very successful.

In the afternoon, I taught my first lesson to the full class. It was a Math lesson on data management. I prepared a pile of colourful papers that were cut into squares. I asked the students to sit in a circle, while I spreaded the papers on the carpet. Then I asked volunteers to sort the piles by colour. After that, I asked questions to see what they know about a graph. Then I asked each of them to choose their favourite colour from the colourful papers and hold on to it. They then had to find all the people in the class who has the same favourite colour as them, and tape the pieces together edge by edge. Then they gave the long pieces back to me, which I taped on the board. Posting questions and guiding them, I wrote down the headings of the horizontal and vertical axis, which completed the large graph. Then I asked them questions about the graph, such as "Which is the most popular colour?", so that they understand that the graph provides certain information. After that, I showed them how to transfer the large graph onto a graph template that I prepared, and asked them to do it individually at their desk.

Ms.Carson said that it was a great lesson, and she helped me out in clarifying some points for me, which I really appreciated. She also asked the students to write sentences behind the graph to show what information they acquire from it. I think that the lesson wasn't really bad, but it wasn't as good as I expected. I believe that I need to work on classroom management and clearer explanation. I need to understand that they are Grade Ones, so they can get pretty loud when it comes to "moving around" lessons. Also, I need to be precise in explaining to them because a lot of things are new to them.

Ms.Carson said I can do morning message and the calendar with the students next week, and I look forward to it. I have learned their calendar songs, which I find very interesting! Ms.Carson incorporates a lot of music and body movements in the classroom, and it is great to see that because the students are learning and having lots of great fun at the same time!

No comments: