Monday, February 19, 2007

Lesson Reflection: Feb.19, 07 -- Dragon Dance

It was Chinese New Year yesterday, and the celebrations are going to continue for another two weeks , so I read a picture book about Chinese New Year to the students today. I explained to them about the traditions as I read, so that they could get a better sense of what it is like to celebrate Chinese New Year. The Chinese students in the class were pretty excited in sharing their knowledge with the rest of the class, which was great for discussion.

After reading the book, I asked some Chinese students to share with the class what they did for the last couple of days. They were more than willing to share their exciting experiences! I think that was the time when the students learned the most, because the information is real-life rather than from a fiction, and their peers are experiencing them first-hand. One of the non-Chinese students told us that his grandparents would give him money on Chinese New Year, which was very surprising for me, because I have never heard of someone from another culture celebrating for Chinese New Year.

Before I taught the lesson, I thought about the order in which I would guide them through the 5 Ws organizing plan for the story. I think I did it much better than last time, because I am more organized and I planned the sequence. The lesson flowed well, and the students seemed to understand it.

Overall, I think the lesson went pretty well. If I can do it again, I think I will read the book through once, and then read it again and stop every now and then for discussion. That way, the story would flow better and it would seem more coherent.

No comments: