Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Flowers of Friendship

Routines: calendar, songs, circle sharing [who are your friends?]

Friends

We say, "Thank you. We say, "Please."
We don't interrupt, We don't tease.
We don't argue. We don't fuss.
We listen when teachers talk to us.
We share our toys, we take our turn
Good manners are easy for us to learn.


We used the craft that we made yesterday to practice greeting. I asked them to hold the "hand" so that "Hi!" is facing away from them. Then I asked, "When ______'s mommy comes to pick him up, what do we have to say to her?" And they all waved their "hands" and said "Hi!!!!!" We did that until I mentioned all the children's names. And then we turned the "hand" around and practiced saying "Bye!" to teachers when the kids go home. It was funny to see how excited they were! Afterwards, I collected the crafts and told them that we'll practice again tomorrow. At the end of school, when their parents pick them up, most of them greeted their parents so enthusiastically! I'm so pleased! =)



After "waving", I read-aloud a few pages of < Book of Bad Manners >. It shows rhymes and pictures of bad manners in a funny way~ As I read, I picked students to tell me why the behaviours are bad, and asked them to act out how to change those into good manners. They had a lot of fun with that!

After our role-playing activity, I gave each of them a piece of paper and a paint brush. I put paint in the middle of the table, and asked them to use the brush to paint on one of their palms. I told them that we're going to make "flowers of friendship", meaning that each handprint is going to become a flower (I'll add stems and leaves for them), and we're going to put handprints on our own paper as well as on our friends' papers~ This way, we'll have a garden full of different handprints, because all handprints are different and unique.

No comments: