Saturday, June 26, 2010

Standards of Practice Reflection

As a teacher, how do we identify our strengths? I believe that they can be reflected through the students and parents. I think I’m strong at showing commitment to students and student learning by treating every child with respect, acknowledging their differences, and guiding them to develop into young people who are loving and caring.

It is my personal teaching philosophy to teach children that living, learning, laughing and loving are integral to what life is about. I’m devoted to incorporate community building processes such as Tribes to build a safe learning environment where everybody respect, listen, and genuinely care about each other. I observe and make notes of their personality and the way they interact with other children, work with them as a whole group to resolve problems and arguments, and give praises to good behavior. I also have daily activities such as asking students to think about one nice thing that a classmate has done to him and say thank you to her.

Once in a while, I’d handwrite notes to parents telling them about my observations of their children. They appreciate this little effort that I make, and sometimes they’d respond by telling me the nice things that they see their children doing, and that they’re happy to see their children coming home being more polite and caring. I take this as a sign that I’m doing an OK job in the students’ personal and social development!

One thing that I need to improve on in order to become a more effective Kindergarten teacher is to take more initiative in seeking out professional knowledge. I need to stay current on issues that are happening in the education system, policies that are relevant to teaching, and educational research that would expand my knowledge of teaching. I also believe that gaining a deeper understanding in educational theories, pedagogy and curriculum would help me in planning lessons that enhance my students’ learning and development.

No comments: