Friday, April 27, 2007

April.18, 07: Teaching Block Day 7

Ms. Carson wasn't feel well today, so she didn't come to school. I was greeted by a substitute teacher when I arrived in the morning. The teacher was loud and threatening. He would yell at the kids even when they were only talking quietly. He was impatient, and he tried to bribe them with large money amounts (coin manipulatives) like 10 dimes, whereas I only give them a penny, nickel or dime when a group is working quietly. And it didn't work for the students at all. They weren't even excited about the "award".

His tone sounded demeaning. None of the students called his name throughout the day except for when he first came in. But one student told me, "Mr.xxx looks like he is sleeping." When I looked, he was sitting behind the teacher's desk, with his eyes closed. Perhaps he was only closing his eyes for a second, but I wasn't sure about that.

During Math lesson, while I was helping other students, I heard him trying to help a lower kid, but he was being very impatient with her and he spoke really loudly. Being a student teacher, I wasn't sure of what I could do. He started the morning, but I taught for most of the day, so the afternoon was OK. Also, he kept saying to me that finding a full-time teaching job is not about what you know, it's about who you know. He said that it's all about politics. I didn't feel like I should argue with him or say anything, so I just kept smiling and trying to talk to him most of the time. But the day was awful! I felt like I need to protect the students, but I couldn't really do anything.

The day after, I told Ms. Carson about it, and she said that two other teachers also heard him yelling at our students. So she went to the office to let them know not to get him again. When I think about it, I feel so lucky that I'm in Ms. Carson's class. I have heard bad things about irresponsible host teachers, and I am really glad that I am in a good school with all the support that I can get. It would be very depressing to work in a poisoned environment everyday.

No comments: