Sunday, April 29, 2007

April.23, 07: Teaching Block Day 10

I'm already half way through my teaching block, time passes so quickly! A week passes by like a blink of the eye, but when I reflect on my day, it would seem like it happened a few days ago. It's weird.

Just like how Peni has predicted, I have changed my plans throughout my block. At the beginning, I was suspicious about it because I would like to stick with my plans since I spent so much time putting the units together. However, as I got used to being in the classroom and teaching everyday, I begin to think that it's ok to change my plans according to the needs of the students. Plus, there's always things that I suddenly come up with that would be useful for the lessons.

On Friday, the Eggshell People's hair have grown a lot. I thought that it would be a great idea to give them a haircut today (Monday). So I gave the students paperclips, like what I did before, to measure the grass hair. After they measured the longest piece, they recorded it in the chart. I was surprised by how quick they did it today, because they had trouble with the measuring last week. I'm impressed that they have learned how to do it and are getting good at it.

I find that webs and charts help students organize their ideas better, so I made a web to help them write about the growth that they see in their Eggshell People throughout the week and a half. Their writing are much more detailed with all the headings covered. They were really excited to take home their Eggshell People today!

I'm also very impressed by how well they understand money now. Most of them have improved a lot compared to the beginning of the unit. Most of them now understand the concept of 2 nickels in a dime and 5 pennies in a nickel. They think about it when they need to buy things from me, and as they get practical experience on a daily basis, they are getting really good at it!

No comments: