Sunday, April 29, 2007

April.24, 07: Teaching Block Day 11

Yesterday, Ms. Carson talked about Earth Day with the students. Today, I taught them about Earthworms and how they help the earth as recyclers. They were very excited when I read them the book "Diary of a Worm", because it is cute and funny. Then I discussed with them about some interest facts about worms and put them on chart paper under four headings -- The Body, What They Eat, What They Do, and In Winter. Next, I taught them how to create an information pamphlet, and I paired them up. Most of them worked very well together, but some had problems and kept complaining. One of the groups complain about every little thing almost everyday. I only intervene when they get too loud, but otherwise, I want them to solve the problems themselves, because they argue over the tiniest things like whose name should go first on the front page. They need to understand that they have to get over it and focus on more important things.

In the afternoon, I read "The Penny Pot" to the students and counted money with them as the story proceeds. After that, I let them work in pairs again, to estimate and count coins. I felt really good when a girl came to me and said, "Ms. Chung, I think I get it! I'm getting better at money now!" She was so excited and she felt so proud. I was really touched!

Since last Friday (the day after Science Centre), I wasn't feeling very well. I'm losing my voice. I'm glad that the students were pretty good today, and although I couldn't raise my voice when I taught the lessons and read the stories, they listened and paid attention. Things are going well and I'm feeling very comfortable in the classroom.

No comments: