Wednesday, April 11, 2007

April.11, 07: Teaching Block Day 2

For the first week of my block, I'm teaching periods 4, 6 and 7, because Ms.Carson needs the morning to do some catching up with the students. Today after recess, I taught the class how to write a letter saying goodbye to Winter. We brainstormed some of the things that we enjoyed doing and talked about why we couldn't do something anymore in Spring. Then they started writing their letters.

After lunch, I used the Smart Board to teach patterning. This is my first time using the Smart Board, and it is amazing! I created a template with different coins and scrambled them. I showed the class how to drag the coins on the Smart Board, and how to write and erase. I told them that I only pick people who are quiet to come up and answer questions on the Board. The whole lesson was really quiet, because they were all waiting for their turns. At the beginning, I asked one person to come up to do each patterning and the writing, but too many others wouldn't have a chance to come up. So I divided each pattern into 3 parts, so one student would create the pattern, one would write the pattern name, and one would write the pattern in numbers.

After doing the patterning as a whole class, I handed out a worksheet to each student and they worked on it on their own. The ones who were finished early were able to finish up their money booklets from yesterday. Today was fun but tiring!

No comments: