Saturday, April 21, 2007

April.12, 07: Teaching Block Day 3

Today we finished up our Winter letter lesson. I taught them how to use the writing checklist to self-edit their writing. So from now on, when they finished any writing, they would check it with their checklist before raising their hands.

In the afternoon, we played Money Bingo. I made 20 different Bingo sheets, with the values of the coins. Above each column is a letter -- M, O, N, E or Y. I would call out, for example, "penny in the M column", then the students would see if they have any "1c" in the M column. If they do, they'd put a penny (coin manipulative) on that specific box. The game continues until someone fills in a whole row, column, or diagonal line.

As a modification for the students who might be confused, I held up a big card with the picture of the coin as I called out the coin name. For example, when I called out "a dime in the O column", I'd hold up a picture of the dime, so the students who weren't sure how much is a dime would have the reference to help them.

The class enjoyed the game, but I think that they got over-excited, and I wasn't able to calm them down. I still need to work on classroom management in terms of controlling the noise level. I understand that they were trying to figure out what to put on their Bingo sheet and that the noise level expressed their enthusiasm, but they should not go too overboard.

No comments: