Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Agape Learning Center

I've been supplying for Gr.1 Math on Saturdays for a couple of weeks now, I like it so far! Getting to know my 2 classes of Gr.1s is very rewarding. They can be pretty loud at times, especially when we're playing Math-related games. Their excitement is understandable, and afterall, they're just kids who want to express their feelings as they feel it! But I let them know that there are other classes having their lessons, so we can't be too noisy. Last week, I took away points from the Boys' group when we played Jeopardy because they were screaming and some of them couldn't stay in their seats 'cause they were too excited. And then I started talking to them in whispers, and it worked~ If I yelled over them, they're just going to be louder and louder. But when I whispered, they actually did calm down a little, and we were able to go on with the game without disturbing other classes. =)

Today, I went to another location to supply for a Gr.3 class. When I took the attendance, I told them that although I'm only here for today, I might bump into them again later, so I want to get to know them. I told them a little about myself, and then asked each student to tell me one thing about themselves. I think I'm feeling more and more comfortable around children now, and it feels so natural to get to know them and make connections with them. After I reviewed a few questions with them, I handed out the test. While they were working on it, I marked their homework. After everybody was done, I took up a few more difficult questions with them. At the end, we still had 10 minutes left, so we played "2 Truths and a Lie"~ I'm glad that they enjoyed the game! Before I left, one student asked me if I'm going to be here next week. Awwww......^^

No comments: