Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Doctor's Bag

I asked Nicholas to be my "rainmaker" today, to help me use the rainstick to manage the classroom when he thinks it's too noisy. (When the students hear the rainstick, they're supposed to put their index finger on their lips and say "shhhhh") It didn't work out as well as I hoped, but I'll get Franklin or Eric (the noisier ones) to be the rainmaker tomorrow and see what will happen.

After warming up and reviewing the firefighter and police songs, I taught them the doctor's song~ It goes like this:

I use a stethoscope to listen to your heart,
To help you be a healthy child,
And heal you when you aren't!


I went over the words line by line with them because the words are pretty hard. I asked them to clap the beats throughout the song. I explained to them what a stethoscope is, and then discussed with them what doctors do and what they might find in a doctor's bag. Then I showed them the sample of what they're going to make today and explained how to make it. I helped some of them cut out the handles because it was too difficult for them. One other thing is that the pictures I printed are a bit too small, I should've made them a bit bigger!

The kids made a mess all over the carpet, but they were engaged! When Iris was whining that she needs glue while someone else was using it, I asked her to wait and be patient, and in the meantime she could help me pick up the garbage from the floor. I think it was effective because it gave her something to do while she's waiting, and it was helpful for me!

My sample doctor's bag:






Kayla's:




Tony is realllly good today, he paid attention, didn't make weird noises (silly faces to an extent is acceptable =P), and sang every song with enthusiasm. I'm sooo impressed and so proud of him!

No comments: