Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Police puppets

After warming up and reviewing "Hurry Hurry Drive the Firetruck", I taught the kids how to sing the "I am a Policeman" song~ It goes like this:

I am a police man with my star,
I help people near and far.
If you have a problem call on me,
And I will be there, one two three!


I want to teach them a themed unit on community helpers, that's why we're singing about the police today! We talked about what the police do for us, and I emphasized that no, police don't kill bad guys, they catch them and punish them, sometimes put them into the prison so they can think about what they did wrong and also to prevent them from harming more people.

I sang the song once for them, then recited the words line by line so they could grasp it better. We sang it a couple of times before moving into our next activity, and they sounded pretty good!

I showed them a sample of what I wanted them to make. I printed out a head, a hat, and the police's uniform shirt and pants. I drew the face, coloured all the parts, cut them out, and glued the pieces onto a popsicle stick to make a policeman(woman) puppet. They found it really interesting~ After telling them the procedures, I handed out what they needed and they started working. I was more prepared today 'cause my morning course ended early. I had all the crayons and glue ready in the classroom, so that minimized the hectic moments of going in and out!

Police puppet by Nicholas:


Police puppet by Kayla:


Tony was still making some weird noises today, but he did turn it down and seemed more focus. I asked Franklin to stay out of the room until he's ready to join us again, because he was distracting others. He said that he doesn't want to, so I told him that I don't want the class to be disrupted either. He went outside, and then came back in a few minutes later. Babak always does his work, but he can be silly sometimes. He was making silly faces at the beginning of class, but when he was making the puppet, he was so focused. I wrote him a note to say thank you for singing and doing his work nicely, and he seemed to be really surprised~ ^^

Some parents pick up their kids early, so when everybody finished making their puppets, there were only 5 of them left. They wanted to make a puppet show, so I asked them to sit on the floor and use the desk. I asked each of them to introduce themselves. We didn't get to the story making, because by the time we introduced everyone, there's only two of them left, and they started being silly again~ So I took out a picture book, "Big or Little", and read to them. I really enjoy story telling, because kids are always so engaged! It's like they walk into the story and become part of it~

Trying to put on a puppet show:

No comments: