Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Firefighters!

The kids went on a field trip to the fire station this morning, so I decided to teach them a song about the same topic today! It's called "Hurry Hurry Drive the Firetruck", and it goes like this:

Hurry Hurry drive the firetruck,
Hurry Hurry drive the firetruck,
Hurry Hurry drive the firetruck,
Ding ding ding ding ding!

Hurry Hurry climb the ladder,
Hurry Hurry climb the ladder,
Hurry Hurry climb the ladder,
Ding ding ding ding ding!

Hurry Hurry squirt the water,
Hurry Hurry squirt the water,
Hurry Hurry squirt the water,
Ding ding ding ding ding!


They got the tune and the words of the song pretty quickly, and after singing a couple of times, I asked them to come up with some movements to go with the song~ We decided on the movements for driving the firetruck, climbing the ladder, and squirting the water together. Then we sang with these actions. It was really fun!

Then I showed them how to make an origami hat. I modelled in front of the classroom, and some of them were really good at following me. Some of them said they couldn't do it, so I asked their classmates to help them. I told them that they could decorate it as a firefighter's helmet, and gave them markers and crayons to do that. The boys did an amazing job with the colours, but the girls started drawing flowers and girly things on it haha. I guess it could be a woman firefighter's fashionable helmet~ =P

Franklin's helmet:



Inha's helmet:



Minwoo's helmet:



I asked Franklin to stand outside of the classroom today because he was talking non-stop and disturbing the other kids. I told them to think about why I couldn't let him stay in the classroom, and asked him to knock on the door when he thinks he's ready to join us again. A minute later, he knocked and said that he's ready. It wasn't magical enough to make him stay quiet, but he was only talking softly and I was ok with that.

I think I improved on time management and classroom management today. I didn't keep them in the room for too long, 'cause I let them go out to the open area to decorate their helmets. That way, it was less disturbing when parents came to pick up the kids. They were calmer today, and I think they're starting to feel and understand my firmness when I think they're behaving inappropriately, so they stopped and paid attention when they sensed that I'm waiting for them to be quiet and watching.

I was surprised when Inha came to me before class today and asked me, "Are we going into the room today?" After snack time, another teacher and I would divide the big group in half, she stays with the kids in the open area, and I teach mine in the room. I told Inha that yes we're going into the room today, and she said that she likes it~ After a while, she came to me again and said, "I'm waiting!" She told me she's waiting for class~~ I'm sooooo touched~~ ^^

3 comments:

Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...

And you got your first pay cheque!! Yeah~

Wendy said...

you can use the close up mode on your camera so the photos can be more clear... i'll try my best to get up-to-date on Ms. Chung XD

曰云 (Anita) said...

feels so weird to call you wendy: i should eh XD thanks for coming~~ ^^