Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Days of the Week

I sang the "Days of the Week" song with the students today. I made sure that they were all listening and not singing along while I demonstrated to them, and emphasized that there's a time for singing and a time for listening. It's important to not speak when someone else's speaking because that's when you can really listen attentively, without disturbing other people.

Days of the Week (clap clap), Days of the Week (clap clap),
Days of the Week, Days of the Week, Days of the Week (clap clap)

There's Sunday and there's Monday,
There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday,
There's Thursday and there's Friday,
And then there's Saturday,

Days of the Week (clap clap), Days of the Week (clap clap),
Days of the Week, Days of the Week, Days of the Week (clap clap)


As I was singing, I raised up these signs:



Afterwards, I gave each of them a sign, and asked them to hold theirs up when it's their turn. They were a bit messed up at first because they kept forgetting what day of the week they have. Some of them are too young to recognize these words, but I went over every word with them and asked them what's the first sound of each word. E.g. Monday makes a mmmmm sound, so it starts with the letter "M". I'm going to sing it with them again tomorrow, but hand out the signs in the correct order. That way, the students would know to raise up their sign after the person sitting next to them did.

After singing, I handed out a July calendar to each of the kids. On another sheet of paper, there's the days of the week, where they have to cut them out, and glue on the calendar in the right order. They had a little trouble with that, but we sang the song together while doing it, and I find that the song really helps them remember the order! The next step is to teach them to recognize the words. I believe that routines and practices would help them familiarize with these words, so I'm going to sing this simple song with them everyday~ I'm also going to ask them to draw a little picture about how they're feeling on eacy day too. =)

Kaitlyn's calendar:

No comments: