Monday, July 13, 2009

Home Sweet Home

After reviewing "Oh Mr.Sun" and "You Are My Sunshine" with my students, I taught them a song that I wrote, called "F-A-M-I-L-Y"~

F is for Father, M is for Mother,
Father and Mother, I love you!

What word does it spell?
How sweet does it smell?
Put the first letters together,
Does it ring a bell?

What word does it spell?
Everyone can tell!
F-A-M-I-L-Y is family!


I printed out the lyric in big fonts so students could try to follow along while we sang. First, I gave them the beat using the shaker that I made last week, while chanting the first two lines. Then I asked them to repeat after a couple of times, until they got it. And then I sang them the melody, and asked them to sing back. I did that two lines at a time. After we sang the last line, I sang the whole song to them again twice, and then asked them to sing with me. Zara said she loves the song, but Babak said it's hard. I asked him is it because there's too many words, and he said yes. So I told him that I'll go home and try to think of a way to teach the song so it'd be easier to learn, and I'll also find some songs that have less words and are easier to sing.

After singing the song, I asked each student about their family. It was then when I realized that Iris didn't mention her Dad. Nuclear families are no longer the norm, so I really have to be careful and sensitive to my students so they wouldn't feel bad about themselves. This song might not be an appropriate song for those who have a differently structured family, so I'll have to be careful next time I choose or write a song for the kids.

Then, I handed out an instruction sheet for making an origami house. I went over it with them step by step, and then gave them blank sheets of squared papers. I demonstrated how to fold it and they followed along. Then we decorated the house with markers and crayons. They did a pretty good job on that!



Iris's work:



Franklin's work:



These kids love to talk, but it is also easy to engage them into talking about a specific topic together. I learned from my AQ instrumental music course professor that if we expect students to watch us when we conduct, we need to give them something worthwhile to watch. I believe that this applies to any teaching. I have to stand up in front of the class and show them the reason for listening to me and interacting with me, and I know that it's a neverending learning process!

2 comments:

Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...

You are putting so much effort into your class. And you seem to be enjoying what you are doing. Good for you!!

I really like the way you integrate a theme into each class. it will be amazing if they are able learn abstract concept like "home" from your singing, arts and crafts and other activities. The more inter-related content they learned, the longer they will remember the effect of the activities.

Remember that they request to sing a song that they learn from previous class? They seem to have some concept of time. They may be able to manage a theme that span a couple days or even a week.

Take home activities is good, but those kid may not come everyday. so it may be hard to manage.

Good JOB!