Thursday, July 09, 2009

I am special

I finished reading < Something From Nothing > to the kids today. It is interesting how they were so engaged in the story, and felt sooooo sad when Joseph lost his button. Children are really capable of feeling sympathetic for others. I found that Eric has a tendency to disrupt the class, but he was so attentive when he was listening to the story, and participated a lot to share what he thinks and feels. I'll try to work that into my lesson planning to minimize behavioural issues and to engage him in all my lessons!



After reading the story, we sang the songs that I taught them before, and I taught them a new song called "I am Special"~ It's sung to the tune of "Are You Sleeping".

I am special, I am special,
Look at me, you will see!
Someone very special, someone very special,
It is me! It is me!


Then I showed them the little craft that I made last night. I picked a word to describe myself, wrote the letters on construction papers and hung them down from a straw. I brainstormed with them some words that they could use to describe themselves and wrote the words on the board, such as "nice, smart, quiet, sporty, happy, sweet". They all decided that they'll use the word "happy" to describe themselves haha~ I think that they haven't really established the concept of who they really are or what their personality is like yet, so this activity might work better with Gr.1s and up. This might be modified by asking them to write their names, or coming up with words that describe how they are feeling at the moment. They would be able to relate to that better than describing themselves.

I showed them how to do the craft step by step, but I realized that it is a bit too complicated with the strings hanging down. So I decided to modify it and ask the students to glue their letters onto the straw instead. It worked out well!





This one is made by one of my students:

1 comment:

Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...

i wish that i had a teacher like you when i was young(may be i did haha). i will be a different me now. i hate the feeling of being left out.