Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Oh Mr.Sun~

The students are getting familiar with the warm-up today, they were all singing so well, I'm impressed~

I taught them a new song today, and it's called "Oh Mr.Sun". It goes like this:

Oh Mr.Sun, Sun, Mr.Golden Sun,
Won't you please shine down on me~
Oh Mr.Sun, Sun, Mr.Golden Sun,
Hiding behind the tree~

These little children are asking you,
To please come out so we can play with you!

Oh Mr.Sun, Sun, Mr.Golden Sun,
Won't you please shine down on me~


They picked up the "Oh Mr.Sun" part very quickly, but had trouble with the middle lines. I'm going to write out the lyrics and point to them as I sing with them next time, and hopefully that'll make it easier for them to learn the song.



After singing, I showed them the "Mr.Sun" that I made. I prepared construction papers for them, with the circles already drawn, so they only had to draw the sun's face and cut it out. Then I gave them blank papers to trace their little hands, and then glue them behind the circle so they look like the sun's rays. As they were working, they started singing "Oh Mr.Sun"!! And they kept repeating and repeating~ They told me that they love the song! And then one of the girls asked if we could sing "You Are My Sunshine", so we also sang it while they were drawing and cutting! I feel that I've begun to make a bond with these kids, and that they're expecting me to do something fun with them everyday! A couple of them came to me before snack time and asked me, "What are we making today?" and "Are you staying here?" I'm so touched~ ^-^

After cutting for a while, the students seemed to be a bit tired. It's also because they went to the farm on a field trip in the morning. So I told them that if they're too tired, they could finish it tomorrow, but if they want to continue, they can do that as well. I took out the book "Something From Nothing" by Phoebe Gilman and started reading it to them. I felt that as teachers, we need to be aware of the students' needs and be understanding. When they feel that they have options and their needs are respected, they will in turn show respect for us.

Something that I need to modify next time is that it takes the students a long time to cut out the shape of their hands, and to cut out so many seemed to be a pretty difficult task for them. I think a good idea would be to make a HUGE sun, where each student is responsible for tracing and cutting one or two hands, and then they can put them together. It would be an activity to foster cooperation too!

This is one of the students' work:

1 comment:

Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...

very good reflection yum, I am glad that the kids like you.. cuz i know you love them.. keep it up. yip.