Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Postman

I told the students that if they sing the songs really well, we can do a mini-show on our community helpers unit. The run-down would be something like this:

1) Warm up -- do rae mi
2) Days of the Week
3) Firefighters: Hurry Hurry Drive the Firetruck
4) Police: I am a Policeman
5) Doctor: The Doctor's Song (for lack of a better title haha)
6) Postman: The Postman Song
7) Farmer: The Farmer Plants the Seed (I'm going to teach them this song tomorrow)
8) Ending: Clean Up Song

The kids are excited about it~ I hope it's going to work out, and I can even record them and burn a CD for the parents too!

I taught them about the postman today, that they sort our letters and help us deliver them. Then I showed them an envelope that I decorated, with a stamp that I designed. I told them that if we want to mail a letter within Canada, it'll be 54 cents, that's why I wrote 54c on my stamp. I gave them the address of the school and asked them to glue it on the envelope, and write their name on it. I told them that if they want to, they can ask their parents to put a real stamp on the envelope and actually mail the letter, so they can receive it at school~ But I don't think they'd do it, 'cause they seemed a bit confused when I suggested it.


I sort the letters and postcards,
I carry them to your home!
They come from all over the places,
Like New York, Paris and Rome~


Today, I let Sasha be the rainmaker, and it's the first day that she didn't scream in class! She loves screaming. The boys were ok too, and they said the activity is really fun! After they were done with the envelopes, I asked them to draw a picture to put in the envelopes, and they did~

Babak's envelope & note:


Franklin's envelope & note:

1 comment:

Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...

Your student don't seems to have a concept of school, which is nice, cuz learning does not limited to one form. We can encourage them to interact their knowledge with things around them. and i think that's why they enjoy decorating the envelope. This teaching style will require more effort definitely. Cuz you are modeling a kid's perception of the world and not just reading a book. It will pay off in the future. Live & Learn.