Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ladybug

After seating all the kids around the circle, I told them that I noticed something from the park -- that they're always very interested in a kind of insects that's very tiny and has a very sharp colour. I asked them what it is, and they said, "ladybug!" I held up a ladybug toy that I found in the school, and asked the what colours the ladybug has. Then I turned to a page in an insect book, and read them the part where it says that ladybugs help the farmers eat the insects that ruin the crops, so they're actually "good" insects~

Then I told them that we're going to sing a song called "See the Ladybug"! First, I recited the words and asked them to repeat after me. Then I sang it with the tune, and they followed along pretty quickly, because it's the same tune as "Are You Sleeping", so they're familiar with it. I sang the second verse without reciting it because I think they can catch the repetition and wouldn't need me to repeat the words without the tune. I also taught them the movements, and they dived in to do them immediately! The kids were excited about the song, and we sang it two more times~

See the Ladybug

See the ladybug, see the ladybug,
Watch it crawl, watch it crawl!
See it crawling slowly, see it crawling slowly,
Watch it crawl, up the wall!

See the ladybug, see the ladybug,
Watch it crawl, watch it crawl!
See it crawling slowly, see it crawling slowly,
Way down low, to the toe!


After singing, I switched gear and showed them the sample ladybug that I made. I showed them the template, and asked them what colours should the body, the wings and the spots have. I told them to colour first, then cut out the shapes, and glue them together. I reassured them that I'd go around to help them, because I know that some of them would have difficulties in cutting the smaller circles. I'm very proud of some of them who did it all by themselves!

Template:


Michael's ladybug:


Sophie's ladybug:


Sonia's ladybug:

No comments: