Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A for Acorn

I read a story called "Dot and Jabber and the Great Acorn Mystery" to the kids today~ It's a very funny book! It talks about how acorns travel from one place to another, and then get planted to become an oak tree. After reading and discussing the story, we sang this song together. They really loved it when we had to "swish our bushy tail"~ =P

Grey Squirrel

Grey squirrel, grey squirrel, swish your bushy tail!
Grey squirrel, grey squirrel, swish your bushy tail!
Wrinkle up your funny nose, put a nut between your toes~
Grey squirrel, grey squirrel, swish your bushy tail!


I prepared a couple of activities to do with the kids today -- an acorn art & craft, letter "A" tracing page, and "count the acorns" number tracing page. I started with the art. I asked them what colours are acorns, and they said brown and orangey. So I said that they may use those 2 colours to colour the page. Some of them started grabbing other colours, and I told them that I know they love to be colourful, and there are times when we can do that. But this time, I really want them to colour the acorn in the colour that it is in real life.

When a student was done, I'd send him/her to another table to do the letter tracing. And then when they were finished with that, they had to do the number tracing for 1-5~ They were very productive today, and I'm so proud of them! =)

Sophie's acorn:


Jonah's:


Phillip's:

No comments: