Thursday, October 01, 2009

A for Alligator

We had a fun day today! First, we sang our "Stand up and turn around" song and each kid had a turn to move around before sitting down nicely, including our new student Daniel~ Then we sang "A Little Apple Seed", "The Ants Go Marching By", and "Grey Squirrel". Today, when we sang "The Ants Go Marching By", I asked them to stand in a line after me, holding to each other's shoulders like a choo-choo train~ Then we marched around the circle together. As we sang to the line "The ants go marching one by one, the little one stopped to suck his thumb", I told everybody to stop and freeze, then pretend that we were sucking our thumb~ Then we continued the song. We did this for all 5 verses, and they had so much fun! =)

Then I taught them a new rhyme:

Mr. Alligator

Five little monkeys swinging in a tree,
Teasing Mr. Alligator, "Hey, you can't catch me."
Aong came Mr. Alligator quiet as can be
He snapped a monkey right out of that tree!
(Next verses: 4 little monkeys, 3 little.......,2, 1...)


At first they weren't chanting along, so I'd skip some words and let them fill in the blank~ By the end of the last verse, they were all chanting!

After singing, I read them the story "Very Boring Alligator", and all of them were quiet and paying attention today. I was very impressed, and I let them know that. After read-aloud, I wrote the lower case "a" on the board, and asked each student to come up and write an "a" for me. Then, I showed them how to do our "A for alligator" craft~ I asked them what colours are alligators, and they said green. I asked them, "So...do we have purple alligators?" in which they answer, "Nooooooo~~" "Do we have...PINK alligators?" "Nooooooo~~" But...I still find a purple arm in their work hahaha~

We didn't have time to do our letter tracing today, but we'll do that tomorrow~

Phillip's alligator:


Shriyans' alligator:

No comments: