Monday, September 28, 2009

A for Apple

I just started our "letter A" theme today~ I asked the kids what's the first letter of the alphabet and what does it sound like. They're all familiar with it. Some of them already know that apple starts with A! I taught them this little song about an apple seed~

A Little Apple Seed

Once a little apple seed was planted in the ground
Down came the raindrops, falling all around.
Out came the big sun, bright as bright could be
And that little apple seed grew to be an apple tree!


After singing it once, I asked them what do seeds need to grow, and what an apple seed would grow to be. After talking about it and doing the song movements, I found it easier for them to remember the words.

Then I did guided reading with them, reading the story of "Johnny Appleseed". I showed them the sample apple tree art, with apples on the tree. Then I showed them colouring page that I printed out, and told them that they need to colour the tree, the dog, the basket, and "Johnny"~ Riley asked me where are the apples, so I asked them to guess what I used to put the apples on the tree. Some of them said "red" haha~ So I guided them by asking if it's crayons or paint, and they said paint. I asked them if they think I used a paintbrush, and some said yes. So I told them that I didn't, and asked them to tell me what other ways can I put paint on the page. Then they got it~ Yes, I used my fingers!

Learning from the messiness of fingerpainting from the last couple of times, I didn't leave the plate of paint on the table this time. Instead, I went around to let the students dip their thumbs in the paint, and then asked them to put their thumb on the page together. I told them to do it gently and then lift up the thumb. During today's lesson, nobody put paint on their whole palm or had paint on their face! =)

After fingerpainting, I gave each of the kids a tracing page with the letter A in both upper case and lower case. I told them to trace the letters, and I helped the ones who had trouble using the pencil. Before I gave them crayons to colour, I emphasized that we're only colouring the big letters and the apple, but NOT the letter tracing. Because some of them coloured on top of the letters, their work was all covered up. I made sure that everybody understood by asking each student individually before letting them colour. It's good to make things clear to avoid problems!

Reya's apple tree:


Reya's letter A tracing:


Sophie's apple tree:


Cooper's apple tree:

1 comment:

Ho, Shing Yip 何承業 said...

I had just caught up with all your post in September, 16 in total.

My first impression is, wow, you've done a lot. Even tho you've told me most of your lesson details before, but i still found reading it enjoyable and informational.

I think the parent would love to read it and they may feel the same as i felt. Add on to that, parent's might be able to give you feed back on how their kid understand from the class material. That's definitely beneficial.

The effort you put in the class and here are worth sharing to more people.