Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Special Me

I started doing calendar with the kids, so we can practice counting. =) I'm going to teach them the days of the week song next week, so they'll start learning the concept too!


I did the "Stand Up and Turn Around" song with them again, and it's interesting how encouraging them to move actually helps settling down too~ I'm going to do it again tomorrow!

Then we sang this song:


I was surprised that Shriyans initiated the conversation of who they want to be when they grow up after singing the song! He said that he wants to be a spaceman! Cooper wants to be a motorcycle rider haha~ Jada wants to be Cinderella!! And Sophie wants to be a mom, that's sooo sweet! =P

After our discussion, I told them that today, I'm going to measure how tall they are with strings, so each of them will end up holding one piece of string that is the same length as their height. Then we're going to use the string to make something. On the board, I put a square and a triangle side by side, and told them that I want to make a pattern. After the triangle, I put a square again, and then a triangle. Then I asked them to guess what comes next and let them take turns putting the paper squares/triangles on the board. I also asked them to say the pattern with me: square-triangle-square-triangle-square-triangle, etc. Then I showed the the hole-punched squares and triangles that I prepared. I also showed them the sample necklace that I made -- the point is to make the square-triangle pattern.


I think the kids should be ok with a little bit of help, because I saw that some of them were getting it. But I smelled that Shriyans poopoo-ed in his pants, so I had to go and change him, while the other teacher brought her class out in the open area. When I was done, other stations were already set up, and my students were doing something else already. I thought about continuing tomorrow, but I thought that they might get bored, so I'll find another way to teach them sorting later!

No comments: