Tuesday, September 15, 2009

ME puppets

I used today's afternoon message to remind students how they should behave when we're having class -- watch the teacher with their eyes, listen with their ears, be quiet, sit with legs crossed, and keep their hands to themselves~


I taught the kids the rhyme "Stand Up and Turn Around". Each time, I picked one of them and put his/her name in the rhyme. When they heard their name, they had to stand up and follow all the movements as we read the rhyme. It went really well, each kid had fun when it was their turn, and after everybody had their turn, I asked all the children to stand up and do all the movements~


Then I played a game with them. I made a dice with a picture of a body part glued on each side of the dice. First, I showed the students each of the pictures -- hand, foot, eyes, nose, ears and mouth/lips. We pointed to those parts on our body together. Then I told them that I'm going to roll the dice, but before I do it, I wanted them to pick one body part and point at it. The point of the game is to see who guessed it right! But it didn't work out as planned, because the kids just decided to follow whatever the next kid is pointing at~ =P So I just rolled the dice and asked them to point to whatever part it landed on~


After the game, I showed them my sample "ME puppet". I explained that they had to cut out the eyes, nose and lips, and how the top lip and bottom lip need to be separated, so when we put our hands into the paperbag to manipulate the puppet, the lips will open and close just like how our lips move when we talk. I helped the kids cut out the eyes, nose and lips of the puppet, but most of them were good with the gluing. But I forgot to remind them to draw the hair!!

My sample:


Sophie's:


Phillip's:


Riley's:

No comments: