Monday, September 14, 2009

The First Letter of My Name

Today's afternoon message:


Most of the kids didn't know what the first letter of their name is. After reading the afternoon message, I taught them this poem that I wrote for them:


I didn't know that Reya and Jeremy would join me today, but I added their names in as I taught the poem~

After this, I played a game with the students. I held out a brown paperbag, and asked them to guess what's inside. There are pieces of papers, each with a letter written on it. I let the kids take turns (I pick the ones who are ready -- sitting nicely, not talking, not moving around, not touching someone else) to pick one paper from the paperbag, tell me what the letter is, and then tell me whose name starts with that specific letter. It was pretty fun, and they remember pretty quickly! But what's funny is that Cooper thought Jeremy's name is Victor haha~ Riley didn't have a turn, and afterwards, I asked him why he thinks I didn't give him a turn. He told me that because he was talking and moving. So I told him that next time I'll give him a turn if he's sitting properly and listening.

After a game, I taught them this rhyme, because our theme for this week is "All About Me!":


Then, to review the letters, I showed each child how to write the first letter of their name, and then asked them to come up and write it out. For those who were having trouble, I held their hand and wrote it with them so they could feel the motion from the grip.

Then, I gave them a piece of paper with a person on it, where they have to draw in the eyes, nose, mouth, ears and hair, to personalize them. There's a letter on the shirt that they have to trace (I "customized" it for each student, so that they're tracing their own first letter).

Jonah's:


Reya's:


After they finished the portraits, I gave them a separate sheet to practice their tracing~ I learned that for little kids, using markers to trace is easier than using crayons, because they don't have to press as hard.

Jeremy's:


Shriyans':



I'm really proud of them!!! =)

No comments: