Friday, September 11, 2009

Leaves on the Tree Fingerpainting

Today's afternoon message:


I will begin alphabet recognition and tracing with my kids, and I'm planning to teach them to write their names next week!

After reading the afternoon message, I read them the book "The Apple Pie Tree". Another proof that interesting picture books can grab the attention of the wiggly-est kid! I asked them a lot of questions throughout the story, and Cooper asked me a very random question in the middle of our discussion, "Do you like cheese?" It's times like this when I say to myself, "Who cares if he's waaaaaay off topic!" and then answers, "Yes, I love cheese~" =P

Then I taught them the song "The Leaves on the Tree":


Shriyans' mom told me that he goes home and sings the songs that he learns from me! Next week, I'll print out all the lyrics and put them in a folder for each kid, so they could bring it home and sing with their parents. =)

After singing, I showed the students how to make a fingerpainting tree. I already cut out the trunks for them. They have to glue the trunk onto the piece of white paper, then make fingerprints with fall colours paint so that they look like leaves~ This time, I asked them to hold up one of their palms, and then make a thumbs-up with the other hand. Then I told them to press their thumb onto their other palm repeatedly, to mimic the motion of pressing on paint and putting their fingerprints on paper. Some of them were still very messy when we got to work, but it was helpful for some! But I soon found out that the idea of making the shape of a tree with fingerprints is too abstract for the kids, so I went around and drew the top part for them.

Sample:


Juan's:


Jada's:

No comments: