Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sorting Leaves

First of all, I want to celebrate how Sophie sat still in class today!! *clap clap clap*~~

Today's afternoon message:


After reading the afternoon message to my students, I let them take turns sharing with me the kind of weather that they like the most. Snowing is a popular one, but some of them like hot weather too! I notice that they love answering questions, but they have to practice being patient because I won't talk to them or listen to them unless they raise their hand, be quiet, and wait for me to call their names.

We reviewed the songs that we learned this week, and then I taught them this new one:


After singing it through a couple of times, I asked the kids to stand up and sing again~ I told them that at the end of the song, I want some kids to pretend to fall down as if they are leaves, but some kids to remain standing -- they'll pick. And then together, we'll count the number of kids who're still standing. We played that for a couple of rounds, and they were sooooo excited! Which means that...things started to become a bit out of control. It took them a while to settle down and listen to me again. Maybe I need to find a calming song to sing after an activity like this, just to calm them down a little so we can continue with the lesson!

I showed them the sample leaves baskets that I made and showed them what to do. I asked them to colour one basket and the leaves first. The next step should be cutting out the leaves, but we encountered a problem because the other teacher took the scissors for her class! So I talked to each student and asked them to point to the leaves that look the same. Then I helped to cut them out and the kids glued them on the baskets. Some kids started their second basket, but some were still working on their first one. We'll continue tomorrow!


Sample:


Jonah's first basket of maple:


Phillip's first basket of locust:


Shriyans' coloured leaves:

No comments: