Tuesday, October 20, 2009

5 Little Pumpkins

Today we had sharing time again, where each student thanked someone else for being nice to them. I think they're getting used to this routine now, and it's amazing to watch the smiles on their face when they say and hear the words "thank you". ^^

New song of the day:

Five Little Pumpkins

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate,
The first one said, "Oh my, it's getting late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "But I don't care."
The fourth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
The fifth one said, "Let's run and run and run."

"Wooooooo" went the wind,
And out went the lights.
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.


I read the book "Too Many Pumpkins" to them, but I didn't read it word to word. I like the story, it's about a woman who loves to plant, but never planted any pumpkins. The reason is that she used to be very poor when she was little, and they'd eat food made of pumpkin everyday for every meal. So after she grew up, she hates pumpkins! But something happened and there were LOTS of pumpkins growing all over her garden, so she had to do something with it. She wanted to give them all away, but it would be difficult to knock door by door. So she made food out of the pumpkin, and decorated the rest of the pumpkins, carved them and put a candle inside each of them, and laid them outside of her house, to attract people's attention. Soon, people came by and went into her house, and she gave them the pumpkin treats. So in the end, she gave away everything, except for a bag of pumpkin seeds, because the feeling of giving the pumpkins and pumpkin treats away was so warm, she decided to do it again next year! =) I didn't read it word to word because it's a bit long, and the kids couldn't focus. So I showd the pictures and paraphrased the story~

After reading, we did a little group activity. Each group got some pictures of the pumpkin (the ones that we used for size ordering yesterday), and their task was to count how many they had. After each group shared the number of pumpkins that they had, I asked them which group had the most and which had the least. And they got it~ =)

Then I gave them the instructions of how to make a paperplate pumpkin. Initially, I wanted them to tear orange papers and glue them on the paperplate, and then glue on the face and stem, and that's it. But then I thought it'd be nice to punch a hole on the stem and tie a ribbon there, so they could hang on doorknobs or somewhere else as a decoration. After I told them my idea, Jonah said, "Yeah, I think it's a good idea!" =P I asked them to share the glue again today, and nobody grabbed~ Yay!!




No comments: