Thursday, October 22, 2009

Paperbag Pumpkin

After singing and reading, I taught the students the "Days of the Week" song. Most of the kids still haven't grasped the concept of days of the week, so they don't really know what day it is today, what comes after Monday, etc. I hope that by teaching this song and having them sing along everyday, they would eventually remember the order.

Pumpkin, Pumpkin

Pumpkin, Pumpkin,
Sitting on the wall.
Pumpkin, Pumpkin,
Tip and fall.
Pumpkin, Pumpkin,
Rolling down the street.
Pumpkin, Pumpkin,
Good to eat!!


We started to make a paperbag pumpkin today! I gave each student a brown paperbag, asked them to crumple up pages from old magazines, and fill the paperbag until it's about half way through. Then I helped them to tie an elastic band to close the bag. I told the kids that we're not going to use orange paint to paint the bags, because I want to show them how to mix two colours to get orange. I put some red on the palette, and then added yellow, and mixed them together in front of the kids. They were so surprised and went "wow...!!"

Because we need to wait for the paint to dry, we're going to add the eyes, nose, mouth, and the leaves tomorrow. =)

Unfinished pumpkins + my sample on the right~

No comments: