Thursday, October 08, 2009

B for Bees~

It was difficult to get the kids' attention this afternoon, when the older kids were still lining up to go into the classroom, and the babies were crying. So instead of yelling over all the noise, I decided to start singing the "Stand Up and Turn Around" song, calling each kid to stand and move. That got their attention, and they all sat nicely afterwards~

Then we reviewed all the songs that we learned this week, and played the balloon game from yesterday~ After everybody was "popped", I taught them this rhyme. I sang it with some of the kids before, but it's new to the rest of them~

Where are the Bees?

Here is the beehive, where are the bees?
Hidden away where nobody sees!
Watch and you'll see them
come out of the hive,

One, two, three, four, five! Bzzzzzzzzz~~


After singing, I read them the book "Honeybees". It's a picture book that explains a honeybee's work. I told the kids that when we see bees, it's important not to run or flap our hands, because the bees would be scared that we're attacking them. I remember that adults used to tell me that when I was little, but I'd still run away 'cause bees are too scary. =P

I printed out hexagons for the beehive craft, and I intentionally made 2 sets of 4 cells, so that the kids could cut out two big pieces, and then put them together. I showed them how to follow the lines to cut. I also showed them how to draw a bee, so they could try to draw bees on their papers if they finish early. What surprised me was that they started cutting out the individual cells! I told them that I wanted them to cut out the big pieces only, because it'd be easier. Then Jonah and Cooper told me that they could do it~ So I said that if they feel that they could cut out the cells, they should go ahead and do it, and that I'm very proud of them! I'm very proud of Reya because she always says that she doesn't know how to use the scissors and she can't do it, but she tried sooo hard today and she did such a good job! =)

Sample beehive:


Sophie's beehive:


Reya's beehive:


Jonah's beehive:

No comments: