Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I'm a Balloon~

I taught the students this balloon song today, and then we played a little game that made us all sweaty and tired!

I'm a Balloon

I am a balloon can't you see,
Can't you see, can't you see,
I am a balloon can't you see,
So please do not pop me.

I can fly and dance around,
Dance around, dance around,
I can fly and dance around,
OH NO! YOU POPPED ME!


We pretended to be balloons -- hands up above our heads, kind of like doing ballet. Then I told the kids to move around inside the red circle carpet, squatting down and standing up, squatting down and standing up, to make floating movements. We sang the song together, and when we reached the last phrase "Oh no! You popped me!", I replaced the "me" with a child's name. When they hear their name, they have to pretend that they're popped, and then sit down on the carpet. The kids had a lot of fun, but it's very tiring! =P

After singing and moving around, I read them the story "Balloon on the Moon". It's a story about a little boy who decides to go to the moon to help his little brother find his lost balloon~ I think it's a very touching story. ^^ Towards the end of the story, I found that some of them were losing attention. So I asked them to vote -- if they wanted me to continue the story now, or finish reading it later. More kids voted for now, so I let them know that that's how I decided to read on. We had a nice discussion throughout the story, and I think today's lesson went really well! I'm happy. =)

I gave them worksheets to practice tracing the letter Bb, then set up another table for them to make the balloons picture. I drew the strings for them beforehand, to avoid them dipping the markers into the glue. I reminded them to use little glue, and this time, everybody were using the glue properly!! I'm sooooo impressed!

Cooper finished very quickly, so I asked him to help Reya and Phillip to cut the circles, because they needed help. He agreed, and I thanked him for being so helpful, and he's so proud of himself~ I'm proud of him too. =)


Sophie's balloons:


Phillip's balloons:


Cooper's balloons:

No comments: