Thursday, November 05, 2009

C-A-R Beep Beep!

We had fun playing with cars today. =P We did the calendar, sang our Days of the Week song, reviewed this week's songs, and then learned this new song:

C-A-R Beep Beep!

Look at my bright shiny car,
I'm driving it today - o.
C - A - R (BEEP! BEEP!)
C - A - R (BEEP! BEEP!)
C - A - R (BEEP! BEEP!)
I'm driving it today - o!


After singing, I read them a book called "The Little Auto", a simple story about a little man who drives a little car, and what happened during his drive~ Phillip was very observant when he said that it's going to rain in the story, because he saw the dark clouds behind the sun!

I prepared a colouring page of a car, and I divided the students into 2 groups. I asked one person from each group to draw out a number from the basket that I prepared. If the number is 1, they had to colour 1 star; if it's 2, they had to colour 2 stars, and so on. We would keep drawing numbers and colouring the stars until one group finishes colouring all the stars. But it didn't work out as planned, because the kids were too eager to colour everything, and I think the concept of colouring 3, and then 3 more, is a little bit too complicated. I'll try again next time and make it more simple!



Then came the really fun part of today's lesson~ I took 4 toy cars from the play area, picked 4 paint colours, and put them on the table. I laid all 6 pieces of construction papers (one for each student) out, putting them together as if it's one huge paper. Then I asked the students to line up on one side of the table. One by one, I asked them to pick a car, dip the wheels into the paint, and "drive" it across the pages~ I pointed out that all the cars have different tire track patterns, and when they go home tonight, they could ask their parents to show them the tire of their cars. I really like this activity because the kids enjoyed it sooooo much, and it gives them an opportunity to work on one whole picture as a group, which looks amazing. Since they are really proud of their work and are always eager to bring their work home, I put a name on each of the papers so they could bring it home. =)

No comments: