Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Moo~~

Today we learned about cows. After reviewing our little ducks song, we sang this one together~

Old MacDonald had a farm

Old MacDonald had a farm, ee-eye-ee-eye o~
And on the farm there are some cow, ee-eye-ee-eye o~
With a moo here, and a moo moo there,
Here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo!
Old MacDonald had a farm, ee-eye-ee-eye o~


After doing the calendar, we sang Days of the Week, and I gave each of them a days of the week sign. When I pointed to them, they had to raise their sign. I think they're beginning to remember which days come after which one, and I hope that by practicing more, they'll soon know the order by heart!

We talked about how milk come from cows, and what cows like to eat. We talked about the spots on their skin, and then I showed them the paper cow that I made. I told them that cows are usually brown or black and white, but if they want to make theirs colourful, they could go ahead and do that. =P

Before we went to do the craft, I read the students a story called "Mrs.Mooley". It's about a cow, Mrs.Mooley, who wants to jump over the moon! But all the other farm animals laugh at her because they think it's ridiculous and impossible. Mrs.Mooley is determined to do what she wishes to do, so she keeps practicing and practicing, until the moon sinks low and the morning is coming. When the moon is soooo low that it seems like it's sitting on the ground, Mrs.Mooley performs one last jump, and she jumps over the moon! All the other farm animals cheer for her, and she's very proud that her determination and practice makes the miracle happen. =) After the read-aloud, we discussed about what happened in the story, and what is the message that the author wants to convey.

I made the transition to work at the table with our balloon song, "popping" each of them and asking them to wait for me at the table. After the kids finished colouring the cows, I gave positive comments on each of their work. For example, I complimented on how Sophie used a lot of colours, how Daniel's show contrast in colours so it stands out, how Reya coloured inside the lines, etc. I hope that by demonstrating appreciation and giving details to what I appreciate, they would slowly learn and internalize how to show appreciation and respect. =)

My sample:


The kids' beautiful cows~

No comments: