Friday, January 15, 2010

Colour Mixing

Routine: calendar

After doing our routine today, I assigned a colour to each student and asked them to go to the play area to find something that is in that colour. After each of them came back with a different piece of toy, they took turns to tell me something that has the same colour as the toy that they were holding. I designed this activity because kids love to move, and they learn by making connections. By letting them explore on their own and come back to discuss their findings, they'll have the opportunity to make sense of their own learning.

Then I read them a book called "Little Blue and Little Yellow". It's a story about little blue and little yellow (they're 2 blots of paint) who are best friends with each other. But after they hugged each other, they became green! And their parents didn't recognize them. So they cried and cried yellow and blue tears until they became blue and yellow separately again. It's a sweet little story about colour mixing. =)

After the read-aloud, I sent them to the table to paint. I put blue paint on a plate and asked them to paint the first circle. Then I poured some yellow on another plate, and asked them to paint the second circle. I showed them how to dip the brush in the yellow, and bring the yellow to the blue plate. Then I mixed the two colours together, and they were amazed that we made green! So everybody painted the snowman green~ We did the same thing for red and yellow. Most of them were painting nicely inside the lines, and they were careful not to make themselves dirty. By observing these little things, I really see that these children are growing. I know that they could feel how proud I am of them when I told them my observations. Sometimes they just need to be reminded of their little achievements, because no little thing is little. =)


No comments: