Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chinese New Year: Red Banners

I started today's lesson with a little bit of information about Chinese New Year, and how the colour red is often used for decorations and clothing. I told the students about "red banners", which are long, red papers that we post on the walls, with blessings written on them. I showed them one that says "快高長大", which is a blessing for kids to grow up healthily. I asked them if they want to grow up quickly, and they all said, "Yes!!!" =P

Then I gave each of them a template of the red banner, and their task was to colour the Chinese words with black paint to imitate the writings in ink. I didn't realize that the words are a little bit too small for painting, but they really did try hard! I told them to paint slowly, inside the lines, and they really concentrated to do that, I'm pleased!

After painting, I played a CD with Chinese traditional kid songs, and let them dance with the music. =)

No comments: