Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Colourful Fruits

Routine: Stand up and turn around, calendar, Strawberry Patch, In and Out the Window

After our daily routines, I asked the kids to sit in a circle and close their eyes. I placed a toy fruit behind each of them, and then told them to feel it with their hands to guess what they are. I kind of expected this to happen, and it did: they looked at the fruits before guessing! But I still asked them to take turns to tell us what the fruit is, what colour it is, and what it tastes like. We played this game twice, and they seemed to like it. =)

After reviewing the different kind of fruits that we talked about last week, I read-aloud some information on peaches and cherries. We also learned about planting apple and pear trees, and how we couldn't leave them in our house when they grow too big. =P

Then we sang this song with the movements (they love this song!):

In the Strawberry Patch

Where oh where oh where are the children?
Where oh where oh where are the children?
Where oh where oh where are the children?
Way down yonder in the strawberry patch.

Picking up strawberries, put them in the basket,
Picking up strawberries, put them in the basket,
Picking up strawberries, put them in the basket,
Way down yonder in the strawberry patch.

Take the berries home and wash them up
Take the berries home and wash them up
Take the berries home and wash them up
Way down yonder in the strawberry patch!

Slice the berries up and make a pie.
Slice the berries up and make a pie.
Slice the berries up and make a pie.
Way down yonder in the strawberry patch!


After that, I explained to them that we're going to colour some fruits today. Sometimes I let them colour in whatever colours they want, but today I emphasized that I want them to colour in the colour that makes sense. I started asking them questions like, "Do I want...blue strawberries? Do I want...pink pineapples?" And then I asked them, "Do we colour on other people's page? Do we put the pencil crayon in our mouth?" They love it when I get silly and exaggerate the questions, making faces as I ask them. And I find that it really does help them in remembering the rules!

No comments: