Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Snowboarder

Since we're learning about the Olympics this week, we started today's lesson with a race! I asked all the students to stand along a line, and then told them to make a froggie pose. Their goal is to be the first person jumping to the finish line, where I was standing. At the first time, some of them ended running or using their hands to help them move forward haha~ We had a couple of rounds, and Daniel followed the rules and was the fastest for all the rounds! I was impressed~ I hope that by incorporating simple activities like this, he'd be more interested in our circle time lessons.

After our jumping race, I read a story called "Pearl's New Skates". It's about a bunny who got a pair of skates for her birthday, but she got discouraged after falling down many times when she tried to skate. She didn't want to try again, and thought that she's not interested in skating anymore. But her uncle encouraged her and helped her, and in the end, she found her confidence again and enjoyed skating~ We talked about how we're not always good at something in the beginning, but if we keep trying, we'll succeed.

Then I showed them the sample of my snowboarder craft. I showed them the template that I'd give them -- a red piece of construction paper, with a stick person drawn on it, posed as a snowboarding person. Their task is to glue the pre-cut straws onto the stick person's body, glue the "snowboard" under the person's legs, and then put "snow" on the ground. I think they've become more confident in their ability to do art, because I haven't heard too many "I can't do this" or "I don't know how..." lately. =)

No comments: