Sunday, April 29, 2007

April.26, 07: Teaching Block Day 13

I went on a Spring Walk with the students today. I wanted to do this earlier on in the unit, but the weather didn't feel like Spring and it would be pretty cold to walk outside. I made an observation chart for the students, and asked them to use their 4 senses (eliminating taste) to take note of the signs of Spring. Ms. Carson and I guided them to look at signs like the buds on the trees and hearing the birds chirping. When we came back, they drew a picture of their walk and used their chart to write in sentences. Some of the pictures were really realistic and captured the moments vividly. I think they really enjoyed it!

In the afternoon, I played a game of adding coins with the class. We've played a similar game before, so it didn't take them a long time to understand how to play it. However, one group was doing a lot better than the other, because of their abilities and their cooperation. I emphasized that the main thing about the game is not what they know and how well they do it, but it's about working as a team. If I can do it again next time, I'll divide up the groups rather than let the pick, so the "losing" group wouldn't feel so bad.

No comments: