Monday, August 31, 2009

Little Owls

I taught the kids two songs about owls today, because we invited someone who takes care of owls to come and talk to us about them last Friday! She even brought three real owls with her~

Before I put the kids on the carpet, they were settled down in different stations, playing with different things. I called each of them by name to come make a circle at the carpet. Reya wanted to keep playing, and she saw that Cooper wasn't making any intentions to move, so she just stayed at the table. However, when I called Cooper again, he didn't whine and came to join the circle! That made Reya come to me too~ I was very happy with Cooper today because he didn't make any fuss during our circle time!

Little Owl

Little owl, little owl,
Hiding in the tree.
Little owl, little owl,
Blinks his eyes at me!

Hooting loud, hooting soft,
Hooting all night long.
I just love this little owl,
And love this hooting song!



Wide-eyed Owl

There's a wide-eyed owl with a pointed nose,
with pointed horns and claws for toes!
He lives in the tree and when he looks at you,
He flaps his wings and says whoo whoo whoo!



I believe that every kid's abilities are different, but they're all capable of achieving something. When they were cutting the claws, Maya actually cut each "toe" out individually. Some cut them out as two claws, and I asked some of them to cut them out as a set of two, because of the different levels of development in their fine motor skills. I hope that my activities can be modified to accomodate every child, but I'm still having difficulty to accomodate a few of my kids. For example, Edward can colour, but he tends to give up very quickly. So before I got to help him with cutting, he might already have cut everything in too many pieces. I'll keep in mind to help the ones who need the most help first, so they wouldn't have to wait too long and become impatient. Another way is to cut the pieces out for them first, and then they'll colour and glue the pieces together.

Sophie's owl


Gil's owl

No comments: