Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our 5 Senses -- Hearing

I'm very happy that today, I was able to do the "sight" read-aloud and discussion that I planned for yesterday!

I taught the students this song to introduce our "hearing" lesson~

I Have 2 Ears

On my head I have two ears,
Listening all day long.
And if I didn't have them there,
I couldn't hear this song!
With a listen here,
And a listen there,
Here a listen, there a listen,
Everywhere a listen.
On my head I have two ears;
Listening all day long!


After singing, I read to them about how we use our ears and brain to hear, and tried covering our ears to compare the difference between the sounds that we hear with our ears covered and uncovered. Then we used our bodies to make different sounds~ After that, I showed them the plate shaker that I made, let each of them shake it, and asked them to guess what's inside~ They all said "balls" haha, so I showed them the redbeans that I put inside. I gave each of them a plate, and then gave them markers to decorate. I gave them syrofoam plates because that's what we have in school, but I think paper plates would work better, at least the markers won't smudge! Next time, if I use syrofoam plates again, it would be less messy to give them stickers to decorate~

I helped them staple the plates together after they finished decorating. Then I handed out worksheets for word tracing. One is "E for Eyes" and the other one is "E for Ears". I showed them how to write both the upper case "E" and lower case "e" before they start tracing. Some of them were done quickly, so I gave them a #1-5 tracing sheet for them to work on. I'm really proud of their work, and very glad that they sat and paid attention for so long, having so much done!

My sample:


Jonah's:


Sophie's:

No comments: