Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Our 5 Senses -- Smelling & Tasting

After reviewing seeing and hearing, I taught both smelling and tasting today. I really like the 5 senses lyrics that I found, because they're all sung to the tune of "Old Macdonald had a Farm", so it's easy for kids to pick up.

I Have a Nose

On my face I have a nose,
Use it all the time.
When I sniff it I can tell
Vinegar from lime.
With a sniff, sniff here,
And a sniff, sniff there,
Here a sniff, there a sniff,
Everywhere a sniff, sniff.
On my face I have a nose;
Use it all the time!


I Have a Tongue

In my mouth I have a tongue,
Use it when I eat.
Tasting with it I can tell
Sour from the sweet.
With a lick, lick here,
And a lick, lick there,
Here a lick, there a lick,
Everywhere a lick, lick.
In my mouth I have a tongue;
Use it when I eat!


After reading to them about smelling and tasting, I asked them to squeeze their little nose with their fingers and try to smell. Then I asked them to let go and sniff~ When I asked, "What do you smell?" They said "diapers!" and "poo!" hahaha, because I have to watch the babies in the room today, and one of them poopoo-ed! I felt so bad for making all the kids sniff! I brought in shampoo, strawberry scent perfume, and ketchup. I let each of them smell the different smells and describe them. They all said the shampoo smells like "powder", and they mean baby powder haha~ Then we talked about the smells that we smell on the way to school. A lot of them were bothered by the smell of trucks and garbage!

I wish to talk more about tasting, but the babies started to cry and it got a bit too noisy for discussion. So I told the kids that they're going to make a bowl of alphabet soup today~ I gave each of them a bowl, and wrote their name inside the bowl. I put the alphabet stickers on the table, and asked them to find the letters of their name. Some of them did great, but some were a bit confused. It would be easier if I picked out the letters in their name and just let them stick them on the bowl to match. I was going to let them glue pasta in their bowl as well, but we didn't have enough time. I think it would be cute though! =P

Reya's:


Sophie's:


Jonah's actually look like alphabet soup because it's all over the place~

No comments: