Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Colours Up in the Rainbow

Routine: calendar

I did some preparation before class by collecting a bunch of toys that are made in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. I put them in a basket, and then told the students that we're going to learn about rainbow colours today!

First of all, I asked them to sort the colours one by one. They took turns to place each red toy in the same group, and then orange, and so on. After sorting them into 6 different groups, we made an attempt to put them into a rainbow shape! Although it ends up to be very abstract, we really did try our best! The most important thing is that the students know what they're doing, right? =P But next time I do this activity, maybe it's a good idea to put them in rows instead~



After this activity, we cleaned up, and then sang this song together:

Colours Up in the Rainbow

Red and orange, green and blue, shiny yellow, purple too.
All the colors that we know, live up in the rainbow.
Red and orange, green and blue, shiny yellow, purple too.


Then we went to the table to do fingerpainting! Like yesterday, I did this with them step by step, pouring out a different colour of paint only after they were done with the previous one. Some of them got a little bit messy, but the shape in general is there!

After they finished their rainbows and washed their hands, I gave them an "R for Rainbow" worksheet to practice colouring and tracing. They were working very nicely today, so I said thank you to them for that. Then they all said thank you to me~ As they were cleaning up, I asked them to thank one friend who was nice to them. They were familiar with this routine, but what I didn't expect was that some of them were saying "you're welcome!" to the friends who thanked them! I was like...awwwwww they've learned to become so polite and appreciative! ^-^

Rainbow:

No comments: