Monday, January 11, 2010

Paint with Colours

Routines: calendar, circle sharing

After telling the students that we're going to learn about colours this week, I played a game with them. I asked them to close their eyes, then gave each student a bead with a different colour. I asked them to keep the bead in their palm, so that nobody could see it. The game goes like this: one by one, the students would tell the rest of the class what kind of things have the same colour as their bead. E.g., if a student has a green bead, he could say grass & leaves. Then the rest of us have to guess what colour his bead is. The funny thing is that most of them started with "my bead is _____ (whatever colour it is", giving away the answer right away~ I had to explain it again and again that they have to keep it a secret! I'm going to try this game again tomorrow, maybe they'll get it~

Paint with Colours

I know my colors for painting fun,
Green like the grass and the yellow sun.
An orange pumpkin and white-white snow,
A red rose and a black crow,
Blue like a mailbox, brown like an ape,
A pink pig and some purple grapes!


After we sang the song, we brainstormed things that come in different colours. Then I told them that we're going to paint today! I explained that we're going to paint a palette with 5 different colours. But their first step is to cut out the palette from the rectangular piece of paper. I'm impressed that Phillip and Shriyans are both starting to use the scissors properly, and I didn't hesitate to tell them how proud I am of them!

After cutting, I gave each kid a paintbrush and I poured some red paint for them to share. I emphasized that we're only using red to colour in one spot, because we want a different colour for every spot. I made sure that all of them coloured it, washed the brush with the water in the can, and dried them on the napkin, before pouring another colour for them. We followed the same procedure for all 5 colours, and the final products turned out to be great! I noticed that some procedures do take practice, and although some kids work faster than others, sometimes it's good to work out the same steps with all of them together, so they're on the right track. This would also help developing the patience for the kids who are always ahead of the others.

I added a cute little touch to the paint palettes by making paintbrushes with the kids~ I gave each of them a stick, a small piece of crepe paper, and a little piece of tape. They had to fold the crepe paper and tape it to the end of the stick. Then I helped them cut the tip of the paintbrush vertically, so it looks like the hair of the brush. They loved it~



With the little "paintbrush":

No comments: