Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Froggies hibernate too~

After doing the calendar with the kids and reviewing that bears and snakes hibernate in Winter, I read aloud a few pages from the book "Why Do Snakes Hiss?" It's a factual book about things like how snakes eat, why do they shed their skin, how do they move, etc. After sharing a few interesting facts with them, I asked if anyone wants me to read them another story, called "When Will It Be Spring?" Half of them wanted to listen to it right away, but half of them didn't. So I told them that I'll save it for tomorrow, because I think some of us are a little bit tired from listening to too much information at one time. Some of them are more eager to learn than others, but I have to remind myself that they have limited attention span, and they're already doing a great job sitting here and listening for such a long time!

I told the students that other than bears and snakes, froggies hibernate in Winter too! They go into the mud or deep in the water to stay warm. I prepared a plate, 4 froggie legs, 2 eyes and 2 nostrils for each student, and they had to put all the pieces together to make a froggie. First, they had to glue the 4 legs onto the plate. Then they had to paint the body (plate) green. While we waited for the paint to dry, I set up another table with name tracing sheets, so the students could use the waiting time to practice tracing their names. After they finished the tracing, the paint was almost dried, so I asked them to glue the eyes and nostrils onto the plate. And...ta-dah!

No comments: