Saturday, January 09, 2010

I See a Little Groundhog

During our sharing time, I passed around "the heart". I began with the topic "My favourite colour is..." and then passed it to the student sitting beside me. One by one, they had to start with the same opening words and share their responses with the rest of the class. Through this routine, I hope that students would learn to focus on a stream of thought. They have a tendency to talk very randomly, because they just want to blurt out what's on their mind~ This activity would allow them to develop their thinking skills and concentration, as well as the habit to listen while others have their turn to speak.



Groundhogs hibernate in Winter too! This is the song that we sang today:

I See a Little Groundhog

I see a little groundhog, furry and brown,
He's popping up to look around.
If he sees his shadow, down he'll go.
Six more weeks of winter—oh, no!


After singing, I read them the story "When Will it Be Spring?", the book that I told them I'd read today. To make the read-aloud more interesting, I used the hibernating bear that I made 2 days ago as a prop. Cooper wasn't here when we made it, so I asked him to help me hold it as I read the story. It's a story about a little bear who really wants Spring to come, so he kept waking up and asking mommy is it Spring yet. Cooper helped me move the stick so that the bear goes in and out of the cave as the story proceeds. The students were all engaged!



Then we made a craft that's similar to the hibernating bear in the cave. It's a hibernating groundhog underground~ We can move the stick up and down to make the groundhog come up and down~



No comments: